Does your home use natural gas to power some of its appliances, such as a furnace, boiler, stove, or oven? If it does, then it must have one or more carbon monoxide detectors installed to protect you and your family from potential dangers due to carbon monoxide poisoning. You can contact our electricians to equip your home with the detectors that will do the job, as well as replace them when necessary.
The dangers of carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide (abbreviated with the chemical symbol CO) is a colorless, odorless, and highly toxic gas that is a byproduct of the combustion of fossil fuels. CO can come from a number of sources in a homes, such as car fumes from an attached garage. But the principal source is from natural gas-powered appliances. These appliances are designed to present as minimal health hazards as possible, but they can never be 100% in their safety record. Leaking CO from these appliances in small amounts creates conditions such as dizziness, nausea, and headaches, and in larger amounts it can be fatal.
Natural gas producers often place trace odors into the supply to make it easier for people to detect the otherwise odorless gas when it leaks. However, the best way to find out if the CO levels in your home are rising to unhealthy levels is to use detectors.
Professional service for CO detectors
Why should you rely on licensed electricians to install your carbon monoxide detectors? Because hard-wired detectors are the most reliable available (and they do have battery back-ups) and professionals know how many detectors you’ll need and where they should be placed. Electricians will also arrange for regular inspections to find out when the detectors need replacements. This way you’ll always have the reassurance that the detectors will warn you in case of an increase in CO levels, giving you time to leave the house and call for help.
Brilliant Electric Heating & Cooling offers carbon monoxide detector services to Lincoln Park and throughout Chicagoland.